A former Rhymney Railway station opened in 1858. Upon grouping the line became part of the GWR. The original station buildings were demolished in British Railways days and replaced by rather utilitarian structures. There was originally a separate platform to serve the Dowlais line (now a freight branch to Cwm Bargoed). Post privatisation the station was operated by the Valley Lines TOC but it is now run by Arriva Trains Wales. CRS code: YSM.
Image courtesy of Google Earth.