FINSTOCK [Finstock Halt]
Opened as a halt by the GWR in 1934, this Cotswold Line station in Oxfordshire was a surprising survivor of the Beeching cuts. Always unstaffed, the station consisted of two platforms with simple corrugated iron waiting shelters. The line was singled in 1971 and the former down platform was removed. In 1987 a new platform was opened on the site of the former down line and the old up platform was removed. The station was proposed for closure in 1994 but the looming privatisation process made station closures almost impossible and so Finstock survived. However the station was left with just a single train in either direction during the week and no weekend services. Operated by First Great Western. CRS code: FIN.
Image courtesy of Google Earth.